Thursday, October 15, 2015

Danzig Covers the Everly Brothers, ZZ Top, and Others

This is really my kind of thing, let me tell you:
Glenn Danzig will dig up his musical influences on a new covers album titled Skeletons, which features the former Misfits singer putting his mark on tracks by Elvis Presley, Black Sabbath, ZZ Top and Aerosmith. The covers LP, Danzig's first album since 2010's Deth Red Saboath, will arrive on November 27th. Pre-order Skeletons now through the Nuclear Blast America site.

"These are my skeletons," Danzig said in a statement. "You may or may not know that I dig these songs. You could say that some of this music is the actual basis and skeleton of what I listened to growing up – ultimately informing the kind of music I like. It's the foundation. If you took Elvis and Sabbath out of my life, I probably wouldn't be the Glenn Danzig you know! I'm glad both sides are represented on this record."
It's always interesting to know what influenced artists whose output is pretty narrowly defined within a genre. When you first hear someone like Danzig and you're, say, 12, it's hard to imagine him sitting around listening to Fleetwood Mac or Leo Sayer, but when you get older you realize he probably knows at least the first verse of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing."

Anyway, my favorite choices on this record are "Crying in the Rain" by the Everly Brothers and, even better, "Rough Boy" by ZZ Top. The album cover is pretty awesome, too (see below).


1 comment:

Marissa Hardy said...

Thanks for pposting this