Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Promising Meat Puppet News

from rollingstone.com:

Former Meat Puppets frontman Curt Kirkwood plans to release his first solo album early next year. The currently untitled work features the singer/guitarist backed by the Texas version of the Puppets (guitarist Kyle Ellison, drummer Shandon Sahm, and bassist Andrew DuPlantis) assembled for 2000's Golden Lies, and many of the tracks began as outtakes of that record.

"I went back and listened to [the tracks] and liked them more than the last Meat Puppets record," Kirkwood says. "I didn't want to continue calling it 'Meat Puppets.' It's kind of a hodgepodge of different recordings -- some that I did in my living room -- so I figured I'd better just call it a 'solo record.'"

Among the tracks slated for the record are "Enemy Love Song," "Nursery Rhyme," "I'm Not You" and Golden Lies' aborted title track. "It actually sounds a little more like the old Meat Puppets," Kirkwood says. "[This lineup] likes to play the more straightforward rock."

-----------------------
As you all know, going solo is an advanced thing to do. But what excites me most about this news it that last quote.

No comments: