Friday, June 22, 2007

Me? Not a Fan

I've been trying for a long time to put something together about musicians who wouldn't seem to be fans of their own music. I guess you could say that they are cooler or more interesting or smarter than the music they make. The key to them, though, is that they really do like what they do, which is why it is fascinating. I can understand why Aerosmith would do a song by Dianne Warren (because it will be a hit), even though they would probably like to write another "Dream On" or "Sweet Emotion." With the people on this list, they are making the music that is a true artistic expression. As an Advanced Listener, I have to add that I like most of these artists, it's just that I can't imagine that they do. Unfortunately, I can come up with only five solid contenders and one alternate:
  • Garth Brooks - Amazing on SNL, seems like a smart guy, has a sense of humor about himself; I just don't see him running on the treadmill with "The Thunder Rolls" on endless repeat. Side note: Chris Gaines rules.
  • Cher - I actually like almost all of her hits from every era. But I just can't imagine Cher popping in a recent Cher CD, even if I could turn back time.
  • Alice Cooper - I'll never exactly figure out who the real Alice Cooper is. But does he play "Welcome to My Nightmare" when he drives to the golf course?
  • Jimmy Buffet - There a couple of exceptions, especially "Come Monday." That song is impossible not to love.
  • Meat Loaf - He is probably the best example of the phenomenon. I actually think he is just Advanced, and I just haven't quite gotten a hold of how "Fight Club" and "Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose" fit together.
  • Bruce Springsteen - I know, I know. But if you think about it, he kinda fits.

No comments: