Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The Advanced Man Down the Road

I read in Rolling Stone that John Fogerty has a new album coming out. It's called "Deja Vu All Over Again," which is an advanced title. Here's what he had to say:

"If I felt the need right now, I could probably write 'Fortunate Son' again... I'm almost in awe of the whole process. I'm really happy when stuff is working--in the same way [Red Sox Pitcher] Pedro Martinez is happy when he's got all his stuff."

He also claims that the opening lyric of the title track, which draws parallels between Vietnam and Iraq, came to him like an "unstoppable force." As I have said before, sports references are a big part of the advanced artist. "Centerfield" is very advanced, and you may have seen him play that song on his guitar that is shaped like a baseball bat, which is off-the-charts advanced. The other thing is that when an advanced artist puts an album out, he or she will describe it in almost mystical terms, even though to most people the music sounds the same as most of the artist's previous work.

I just love that he compares his songwriting process to Pedro Martinez's pitching.

No comments: