Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Mystical Powers of Rod Stewart

This just in from billboard.com:

The third time is the charm for Rod Stewart, who with his latest collection of standards sits at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 for the first time in more than 25 years. The artist's new J Records release, "Stardust...The Great American Songbook, Vol. 3," opened with first-week sales of 240,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"Best of all for me is how much the public loves these albums, but I cannot deny that being No. 1 has put a big smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye," Stewart says in a statement released today (Oct. 27). "I feel boundlessly grateful that these miraculous songs continue to thrill, and tip my hat to the great talents who wrote the songs that have become the 'Great American Songbook.'"
-----------
I feel like I have a fairly decent understanding of what makes musicians successful. And with the Advanced Theory, I've sought to explain why successful musicians' failures are actually successes. But I cannot understand Rod Stewart's career at all. I appreciate that he did some fairly good stuff back in the day, and I've always thought he was an okay guy (in that "I think I would like him even though I only know his public image" kind of way). However, I don't know how he has managed to remain so successful all these years. This whole "Great American Songbook" business is really mystifying. But rather than be angered by it all, I've decided that Rod Stewart is great and should be praised. I'm not going to say that he is Advanced, but he definitely knows something that I don't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of things you *might* not know about Rod Stewart, his song "Rhythm of My Heart" was originally about the experience of tonguing an anus. It still shows through in some of the lyrics.