Thursday, October 07, 2004

Quoth Frank Black

Here's Frank Black about his new project:

"Sometime back in 1986 I think, the producer for what would become the Pixies first record, Gary Smith, asked me to drop by his apartment in the Allston section of Boston, just down the street from the building I was born in, to play some songs into his cassette walkman. He and the band were scheduled to go into Gary’s studio, the original Fort Apache in the Roxbury section of Boston, the following day to record "Come On Pilgrim", although it did not have a title at that time. Gary wanted to have some audio notes on the songs for the session. We were both excited about the session, to take place over three days; my father had given me the 1000.00 dollars to pay for it. One of the cd’s in this package is that tape. A few years ago a couple of record companies had expressed interest in releasing the tape, kind of a time capsule thing, and I signed some papers.

The project sat around for a couple of years, mostly because my manager, Ken Goes, and I always felt a little uncomfortable about releasing only that tape to the buying public, as it was not a planned performance, a little casual, and very bootleg in sonic quality. Sure, the uberfans would be happy enough about the content, but we both felt that a potential new fan might feel a bit ripped-off. Ken suggested I re-record some of the old repertoire in some new way, especially a well recorded way, so as to balance this product out a bit. I realize some fans or critics might feel like I’m messing with the gospel here, but really these are the reasons for all these recordings here and now.

I first met the Two Pale Boys, Andy and Keith, at a gig some years ago in West Hollywood, the trumpet and guitar members of that trio formed with David Thomas. When David asked me to perform at UCLA as part of his Mirror Man improv-opera in early 2003, Andy and Keith were in the band again, and I asked them to come down on their one day off to record with the Catholics on Show Me Your Tears. The two pale fellows from England offered their studio and input on some undefined project in the undefined future. In the hot summer of 2003, July I think, I went down to the Hackney section of London and belted out the numbers and let the boys do their thing. Those sessions represent the other cd. I enjoy their work, with me or with others. I like these guys a lot. Sure, we’ve messed with the gospel, but I am satisfied with it. "
-----------------

Messing with the gospel (and calling it gospel) is very advanced. As always, Lou Reed is the master of this. Performing at an improv-opera is also advanced--if you're Frank Black. Oh, and double CDs are advanced.

(thank you to a reader for calling this to my attention)

No comments: