Monday, August 29, 2005

GBV on DVD

From billboard.com:

Guided By Voices' New Year's Eve 2004 blow-out at Chicago's Cabaret Metro, which also doubled as the final show of its storied career, will be released on DVD later this fall. The as-yet-untitled DVD is due Nov. 15 via Plexifilm with bonus features to be announced.

As expected, the performance was epic even by GBV's standards, encompassing more than 60 songs from the nooks and crannies of the band's catalog and the myriad side projects of leader Robert Pollard. Appropriately, the show ended with "Don't Stop Now" from GBV's classic 1996 album "Under the Bushes Under the Stars."

In between, a host of past GBV members joined the band on stage, including guitarist Tobin Sprout for "Fourteen Cheerleader Cold Front," bassist James Greer (with Sprout) for "Johnny Appleseed," drummer Don Thrasher for "I Am a Scientist," drummer Jim MacPherson and bassist Greg Demos on "I Drove a Tank" and "Shocker in Gloomtown" and Pollard's brother Jim for "Lethargy."

The show also boasted guest turns from Superchunk drummer Jon Wurster ("I Am a Tree") and former Chavez leader Matt Sweeney ("Unleashed! The Large-Hearted Boy").
--------
Robert Pollard isn't Advanced, exactly, but he could be if he wanted to be. And maybe he's just so Advanced I don't know that he's Advanced. I missed out on GBV when my music brain was forming (the Replacements, too), so I can never fully grasp what all the fuss is about. I've been assured that this is my loss, and I agree.

No comments: