Thursday, February 22, 2007

Arcade Fire's Overt Tirade Against U2, Oasis, and the Rolling Stones

It doesn't get much more Overt than this:

Arcade Fire have accused U2, Oasis, and the Rolling Stones of being obsessed with taking over the world, calling it "a total crock of sh-t".

[Win Butler] said: "It's not like we shun success, but at the same time we don't want to shove it down people's throats. In the UK there's this kind of rock star competition. I don't know if U2 started it, or the Stones or Oasis, but a lot of bands think in terms of: 'I'm going to be the biggest band in the world. F--k all those bands who've got no ambition.' think that's a total crock of sh-t.

"There's nothing less interesting to me than the idea of marketing the f--k out of something so people are forced to like it. Some bands are just manipulating people to buy music. That's how 90 percent of the record industry works! It's basically the same as selling a f--king toaster or a cruise package."

I can think of something less interesting: a song about how you like to ride in the backseat of a car. Of course, you can't blame a band in their Overt stage for being so Overt, but it still kind of makes me mad. After all, he is essentially trying to manipulate the f--k out people by slagging bands that are way more famous, which is basically a total crock of sh-t. And of course, I'm hoping that by slagging them, I'll get traffic on my blog! Anyone want to buy a f--king toaster?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You almost feel bad for the little Tyke, his music is pretty complex and he's got an interesting sound, but he's falling into the same trap as so many artists before him. I wouldn't be suprised to read an Oasis quote about U2 that's the same sentiment or a U2 quote about the Stones.

Anonymous said...

I agree with him. I mean, U2 has their own iPOD for god sakes.

Anonymous said...

Now that's funny right there.....I don't care who you are.......

Teacherfriend