Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tin Machine: Advancement in Action

Like most people, I was somewhat appalled when I heard Tin Machine for the first time. Then I saw them on SNL and I was blown away. Still I didn't get into the records much. But as I write this, "Under the God" is on my "Lou Reed" Pandora station, and I now completely understand why Tin Machine was not only awesome, but completely necessary. What's particularly Advanced is that David Bowie reversed the usual order of things by forming a band as an act of Advancement rather than going solo as most other Advanced musicians did.

The funniest thing is that I've been preaching the Advanced Theory for 15 years or so, but I can still be surprised by how correct it really is. There's nothing more basic to the theory than the idea that someone who is ahead of their time like David Bowie or Lou Reed will be ahead of their time. So it's funny that I'm surprised that Tin Machine were actually good because of course they were good. David Bowie was a member!

By the way, the song David Bowie sang in "Extras" is the best song he's written in twenty years. It would have been at home on Hunky Dory, don't you think?

No comments: