Monday, July 19, 2004

About the Theory pt. 2

(check out the June archive for pt. 1)
Britt and I had a conversation today about the advanced theory and how angry it makes people. The problem, I think, is that it is easy to get caught up in the possiblities of the theory and neglect its essence. Britt said something that I think is important: All the theory says is that certain artists reject traditional rock'n'roll with the idea that they are somehow about it. Then, as they get older, they embrace the things they used to reject. I'm paraphrasing--Britt put it more elegantly. Hopefully he'll write more about that idea. My take is that overtness is rejecting something without understanding it, while being advanced is understanding something and recognizing that there is no need to reject it. As always, there's so much more to say.

No comments: