Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rivers Cuomo: Ve Ri Overt

As I've said before, it is impossible for journalists to write about Weezer and not mention that Rivers Cuomo goes to Harvard. (Sour grapes for me?) This article from billboard.com at least has a good excuse for mentioning it:

Weezer frontman Rivers Cuomo is heading back to Harvard University in February, with plans to graduate in June with a degree in English, according to a recent chat session on AOL Music. Cuomo returned to Harvard at the beginning of the year after an eight-year-hiatus but has spent the bulk of 2005 recording and touring in support of Weezer's latest Geffen album, "Make Believe."

...During the chat, Cuomo revealed further details about his devotion to meditation as well as his vow of celibacy, which he began June 13, 2003. "I decided to try celibacy because I heard it would help the meditation, and I tried meditation because I heard it would help with the music," he said. "So, it all really comes back to the music."

"Listen to 'Make Believe' and compare it to the previous album, 'Maladroit,'" he continued. "I know I can hear a difference in my singing. My voice just sounds much more sensitive and dynamic now. I also notice a difference in the lyrics. I'm much more open and communicative about my emotions now."
---------
I am almost inclined to say that Cuomo has set his sights on Advancement (assuming he's not lying, or even if he is lying, really), except I don't think Weezer is good enough for him to be eligible for consideration. My gut tells me that he is just being incredibly Overt.

No comments: