Thursday, October 05, 2006

Like Sand in the Hourglass, So Is This Day of My Life

It occurred to me just now that I still like Pink Floyd. I also like "Stairway to Heaven," but I don't like Black Sabbath's longer songs. I like the Pixies, but I always find myself skipping them on my iPod. I would never turn them off the radio though. All my iPods (I've had three, I think) have liked Fugazi and Minor Threat if the number of times they have been chosen at random is an indication. I never get tired of the hits of Tears for Fears, and I've liked every single Michael Jackson has released that I can think of. I used to feel that way about Madonna, too. I like "Mississippi Queen" and Mississippi Fred McDowell. I like "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister, and I like "Break On Through" by the Doors. I like greatest hits collections but I don't like bonus tracks. I like it when I find early signs of Advancement: George Sand once wrote in a letter to Gustave Flaubert that he shouldn't worry that people didn't like his books after "Madame Bovary" because a writer as great as he was could not write something bad and would always be improving (paraphrase). I like "Wrong Way" by Sublime, but not that first big hit of theirs. I like bands that I like and don't understand why people seem to be so eager not to like the bands that they like. I like it when there's more news in the Advanced world so I don't have to write things off the top of my head...

P.S. Also, I don't much like the blues, but I love documentaries about blues musicians.

4 comments:

Jon Black and Britt Bergman said...

i am listening to justin timberlakes new album-overrated by you, in my opinion-his last work with pharrel was better. pharrel has jumped the shark circa last week.
bhb

Anonymous said...

mississippi fred mcdowell plays the straight and natural blues. so you like MFM but not the blues. what gives?

Advanced Genius Theory said...

and he even goes so far as saying that he doesn't play rock'n'roll. I can't explain it.

Kimberly said...

how can you NOT like the blues??...

Anyway, Besides Bob Dylan (single artist) my favorite band has always been Pink Floyd, & I also believe that David Gilmour is a far too under~rated guitar player. Unlike the other great ones, He doesn't sound like anybody.