Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Antony: I Am a Mercury Prize Winner Now

News about Lou Reed collaborator Antony, from billboard.com:

Antony & the Johnsons have won the 2005 Nationwide Mercury Prize, the "album of the year" award for British and Irish acts. Antony's Rough Trade/Secretly Canadian set "I Am a Bird Now" was named the winner at a ceremony held tonight (Sept. 6) at London's Grosvenor House Hotel. While accepting the award, Chichester, England-born frontman Antony Hegarty told the audience, "I thought they must have made a mistake." He described the event as a "crazy contest" and suggested it was like comparing an "orange and a spaceship and a potted plant and a spoon."
---------
I want to know what he has against potted plants and spoons. I guess now that he's a Mecury Award winner, he's too uppity for them. Speaking of which, or wench, at least once a month I say to myself, "You'd side with an uppity wench?" which is a quote from the Patrick Swayze/Kirstie Alley miniseries "North and South." It ruled.

No comments: