Dee Snider is no fan of the recent British poll that named the top ten rock songs of all time. I'll let Yahoo! News:
"It was getting picked up all over the world as gospel," said Snider, who's known almost as much for his onstage profanity as for his music. "I said, `What are we, wood? Why should we have to sit here and be subjected to some arbitrary ... list out of England?" (You can guess what the ellipses were.) "Let's subject them to my arbitrary ... list."
So he did. WMMR conducted an online poll for several months, and came up with a list long on Metallica and AC/DC, with classic rock and grunge mixed in. "It's a little harder, a little edgier," Snider said.
The Dee Snider list:
1. "Stairway To Heaven" Led Zeppelin
2. "Back In Black" AC/DC
3. "One" Metallica
4. "Freebird" Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. "Sweet Child Of Mine" Guns 'N' Roses
6. "Enter Sandman" Metallica
7. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana
8. "For Those About To Rock" AC/DC
9. "Bohemian Rhapsody" Queen
10. "Gimme Shelter" The Rolling Stones
This list is surprisingly wimpy, I think. Where is "Master of Puppets"-era Metallica? And "Sweet Child o' Mine" is fine, but "Welcome to the Jungle" rocks much harder. And "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? I would have chosen one of Boston's better songs.