Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Frank Black Works Just Like a Beehive

I am extremely excited about Frank Black's upcoming solo record, "Honeycomb." Read all about it (from nme.com):

Recorded at legendary songwriter/producer Dan Penn’s Better Songs and Gardens studio in Nashville over a four day period in April 2004 – just a few days before Pixies kicked off their reunion tour – the album features some of the most celebrated players in music. Guitarists Steve Cropper, Buddy Miller and Reggie Young, drummers Chester Thompson, Anton Fig, Billy Block and Akil Thompson join bassist David Hood and keyboard player Spooner Oldham amongst others for the Americana flavoured LP.

”It was wonderful to have these incredible musicians poking fun at my non-Nashville chord progressions,” said Black, “and then give me a wink after a take to let me know that they approved and enjoyed it. I was so lucky to have them playing on this album.” Produced by John Tiven, ’Honeycomb’ will feature tracks including ’I Burn Today’, ’My Life Is In Storage’, ’Atom In My Heart’, ’Another Velvet Nightmare’, ’Go Find Your Saint’ and ’Violet’ as well as covers of ’Dark End Of The Street’, ’Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove’ and ’Songs Of The Shrimp’ from the Elvis Presley film ’Girls, Girls, Girls’.

”This was the only time that I have ever been in a studio and had the strange feeling that I was witnessing something spiritual,” Black said. “When we were recording, those guys didn’t even look at each other, they closed their eyes and they meant it. I have never recorded with people who meant what they played so much.” He added: “I can say without a doubt that the ’Honeycomb’ session was the most moving and mind-blowing experience I¹ve ever had in my musical career. Steve Cropper co-wrote the first rock ‘n’ roll song that I ever sang in front of an audience (’In The Midnight Hour’). It was a pure pleasure to come full circle with Mr. Cropper.”
-----------
This has to be great.

No comments: