Friday, April 29, 2005

Dutch iPod Tax

According to The Register, there is a proposed tax on MP3 players that could kill the industry there:

A Netherlands proposed tax on MP3 players could devastate sales of hard disk players, and set up international waves over copyright legislation. The tax is being proposed by the Stichting Thuiskopie foundation, and is set to become law in the Netherlands in a few short months unless the European Commission finds a reason to intervene. It is unlikely that will happen, as it has failed to come up with a policy for levy taxation so far.

The idea of all levy based legislation is that some form of copyright collections agency collects tax by imposing a surcharge at the point of sale for any storage devices that could possibly be used to store pirated works. This certainly extends to the iPod which has up to 60 GB of storage, and which can store MP3 files. Because of the fact that the great bulk of iPods are used to store legitimate iTunes files which are Digital Rights Management (DRM) protected, this means that copyright is being purchased twice over for these devices if a levy is also paid.

...In almost every case the organization itself that carries out the collection is lavish and well funded, the proceeds are distributed only to large multinational music publishers, bolstering their revenues unfairly. It is little more than a club of companies that "have a right" to make money. If this legislation comes into play, the surcharge will be as much as €3.28 ($4.3) per gigabyte. This might put €180 ($235) to the price of a top end iPod.
-------
Man, the Netherlands, I thought you were cool. Guess I'll have to start hanging out with Vancouver now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I just came across your blog about **keyword** and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site & blog about penny stock report so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!"

unrepentant resources said...

Looking for green day wkae me up when september end info tonight I came across this green day wkae me up when september end post. I was impressed. I love green day wkae me up when september end and am glad I found this post. Keep it up!!

Paul

Enlargement said...

Hey, I was searching blogs, and came onto yours, and I like it. I kinda landed here on accident while searching for something esle, but nice blog.. I got you bookmarked.

If you got time , go visit my site, it´s about laser hair removal connecticut. It pretty much covers laser hair removal connecticut and other similar topics available.

7472 said...

Not what I was searching for, but none the less and interesting blog here. Thanks for putting it up. I've enjoyed reading alot of the text here. I got you bookmarked for the future, I'll be back.

My site is a bit different, some think it's odd. I guess it's a matter how you look at it. I have a mens male enhancement reviews related site. Most of the articles are on mens male enhancement reviews.

NYCGuy12 said...

Very nice blog, hard to come by these days,

If you have a chance, can you visit my how to play guitar site

It has all guitar related stuff.

Thanks

WorldTrader said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a business home internet marketing online payment site, Check it out. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous said...

You have a great hair removal new york blog here.

I have a hair removal new york site. It's about hair removal new york related stuff.

Feel free to visit and let me know what you think :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a free ware game site/blog. It pretty much covers free ware game related stuff.