Monday, May 09, 2005

Brian Wilson: Christmas Is Special

According to rollingstone.com, Brian Wilson is making a Christmas album:

"The former Beach Boy will release What I Really Want for Christmas, his first holiday-themed solo album, on October 18th.
'Christmas has always been a special time for me and my family,' Wilson says. 'And this year will be even more special because I'll have a new album of songs to celebrate the holiday season. I hope the music means as much to other people as it does to me.'

The title track features lyrics by longtime Elton John collaborator Bernie Taupin, while Jimmy Webb ('Wichita Lineman,' 'Up-Up and Away') penned the words to 'Christmasey.' Wilson, who produced and arranged the album, revisits 'Little Saint Nick' and 'The Man With All the Toys,' two chestnuts from 1964's The Beach Boys' Christmas Album, and tackles standards like 'Auld Lang Syne,' 'Deck the Halls' and 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.'"

There are lots of elements of Advancement here: collaboration with Jimmy Webb, "revisiting" songs that people would prefer to be left alone, and doing overdone standards. However, I don't think Brian Wilson is Advanced exactly. The issue is clouded by his drug use and mental illness. Perhaps he was so Advanced his mind couldn't take it. In any case, I'm glad he's made something of a recovery.

No comments: