Friday, May 13, 2005

"Last Days" at Cannes

According to the globeandmail.com, the new Gus van Sant movie is going to be shown at Cannes:

"Two years ago, U.S. director Gus van Sant, who took the Palme d'Or for his film Elephant, a dramatic reconstruction of the Columbine high school massacre. This year he offers 'Last Days,' obviously, if loosely, based on the last days of suicidal rock star Kurt Cobain. Using long, distant takes, a score that ranges from Lou Reed to the sounds of church bells, the film serves as a kind of simulation of the rock star's alienation fragmented mental state. Experimental, brooding and strange, 'Last Days' is one of those films so out there it can earn either adulation or approbation. Personally, I'm on the fence: I was fascinated by what Van Sant is trying to do, but the experience of the film makes my brain tired."

I don't know about this movie. The idea seems a bit cheap to me, though maybe the execution of the movie will make up for that. It just seems morbid and exploitative. But I guess I can't judge the movie until I see it. Nice that there's Lou Reed music in the movie in any case.

No comments: