Monday, August 28, 2006

Steve Miller: Rhymes With "Depantsed"

I promise that this will be my last Steve Miller post, but I just have to share a few things with you. First of all, the inestimable "SD" gives us this little nugget:

"Steve Miller is definitely advanced. In the late 70's (think 'Fly Like an Eagle') he declared the guitar 'dead' and said the synthesizer was the future. I distinctly remember reading an article in Creem where Ted 'The Nuge' Nugent took almost violent exception to this notion. It is also worth noting that Mr. Miller quickly returned to making blues-based guitar rock records."

Advanced, indeed. Second, I'd like to point out that in "The Joker" he employs my favorite lyrical technique (rhyming a word with itself) twice:

"Some people call me the space cowboy, yeah
Some call me the gangster of love
Some people call me Maurice
Cause I speak of the pompatus of love"

and
"Lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey all the time
Ooo-eee baby, Ill sure show you a good time"

Finally, he rhymes "wrong" with "home." It doesn't get any more awesome than that. Ever since I first wrote about the pompatus of love, I have not been able to get "The Joker" out of my head. I love the song, but it's time to move on.

P.S. In "Abracadabra," he rhymes the title word with "grab ya."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let us not forget his rhyming "Texas" with "what the facts is"

Philco Brothers said...

Can you do a post on the meaning of Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma ?

Anonymous said...

...or his interesting use of syntax with "...took the money and run"

Jon Black and Britt Bergman said...

watch the vh1 histroy of steve miller-that guy is meticulous in his reworkings of 2-3 chord songs, but they are decorated perfectly. everyone wants to hear the five claps in 'rockn' me, the sound after 'gangster of love', etc. His production is genius including the chimiest and clearest sounding guitars in modern rock music. He also has the best band name next to foreigner, in my book. advanced? he basically invented stadium rock-watch the show. and remember, he named his band 'the steve miller band'-final product.
bhb
p.s. want to see something advanced-check out the album art on his first few albums.
p.p.s. genius lyrics:
'shot a man while robbing his castle'