Friday, January 28, 2005

Killer Mormon

I came across the following story at desertnews.com:

Many aspiring filmmakers search for years to find the perfect film story. But in the case of Greg Whiteley, it just fell in his lap. Whiteley, a 1995 Brigham Young University graduate, is enjoying success at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival with "New York Doll," a documentary about the former bass guitarist for the punk band New York Dolls, Arthur "Killer" Kane, and his conversion to the LDS Church.

Whiteley said he met Kane when he became his LDS home teacher in Southern California. "I wasn't that familiar with their music, but I was familiar with their reputation," Whiteley recalled. "All I could think of when I met him was, 'He's such a quiet man.' You'd never know, never believe, that this humble, soft-spoken guy used to be a cross-dressing, glue-sniffing glam-rocker. And at the same time, his faith in God was so obvious and evident that it was contagious,"

So, using a digital-video camera, the aspiring documentarian began interviewing Kane about his experiences back when he played in the short-lived, '70s-era band, which counted Iggy Pop and David Bowie as contemporaries. "I really wasn't sure this was going to turn into anything, but I kept hoping it would."
---------
I had no idea that "Killer" Kane converted. Many Advanced people go through a religious phase that seems wacky to their fans.

No comments: