Thursday, January 13, 2005

No Argument Here

This morning I had the pleasure of experiencing the phenomenon where the ten minutes between my hitting the snooze button and the sound of the alarm feels like three days. During these days and minutes, I dreamt that I was thinking of Aristotle and how wrong many of his theories were, which led me to the thought that often it is not the quality of an idea that counts so much as the argument that proves it. When I woke up, that idea had stuck with me, and I realized that it might have something to do with Advancement. I think maybe that Overt artists try harder to persuade us that their ideas are good, using arguments that are designed to please us, whereas the Advanced artists, having already proven to themselves that they can persuade people that their art is worthwhile, let their work stand on his own. I could be way off, but maybe there's something to it.

No comments: