Monday, April 10, 2006

Paul McCartney Needs Me

I ran across this article ("McCartney Tired of Lennon") this morning, and I'd like to share it with you:

"Sir Paul McCartney is jealous of late band mate John Lennon's cult status, and insists he too deserves credit as a major music-maker. The Beatles legend is still bitter his songwriting talent is overshadowed by the work of the 'I Am The Walrus' genius - who was murdered in 1980. He says, "(They say) John was the (Wolfgang Amadeus) Mozart, Paul was the (Antonio) Salieri. Like John was the real genius, and I was just the guy who sang 'Yesterday.'"

I've got all kinds of problems with this. The headline is misleading for starters. He's not "tired of Lennon," he is unhappy that his contribution to the Beatles is often belittled. Another thing that bothers me is that this story has one quote, which is a fairly accurate assessment of what many people feel. And if it is accurate, then he is right to be bitter. Some people might feel this is petty of him to want credit, but I think I would get pretty annoyed at everyone telling you that you stink, even though you wrote some of the best songs in the history of popular music. Luckily, McCartney has people like me to stick up for him. I'm sure he gets a lot of comfort from that. (I also feel like the Beatles are underrated as rockers, but that's another post for another day.)

Still having picture issues. Hopefully blogspot will fix the problem...

No comments: