Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Roy Orbison on "The Johnny Cash Show"



I'll let the YouTube poster describe this one: "This clip features Johnny Cash singing a duet of "Pretty Woman" with Roy Orbison. It originally aired on September 27, 1969. (Roy's house had burned down just the year before, in 1968, killing 2 of his 3 sons. Johnny and Roy were good friends and next-door neighbors on Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee.) Johnny seems a little nervous in this clip and stays away from even attempting the high notes (he tells Roy at the end of the song 'I tried not to sing too much')." I've noticed that Cash often made self-deprecating comments when he did duets, especially when he played with Willie Nelson on VH1's Storytellers. I like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my two favorite things

1) when johnny says "it's all good, man."
2) johnny cash's style of fake guitar playing. i love how he moves his hands during the riff.

Marian said...

my favorite thing:

Johnny Cash's uneasyness, when Roy Orbison mentioned the advices.

A nice piece indeed.