Monday, April 03, 2006

Advanced Notice

Now that I'm no longer with Best Week Ever, I'm throwing all my energy back to the Advanced Theory Blog. Plus, I'm going to bring some new features in as well. In addition to videos--which I think will be a lot of fun (and feel free to send me links)--and pictures, I'm going to give little roundups of what's going on in the music world. It's been mighty Overt of me to focus only on Advanced musicians, so I'm going to broaden the picture just a bit. Hopefully, I won't dilute the message too much. So anyway, here is the first of what I hope will be many roundups, "Advanced Notice."

  • Buck Owens, who was a truly amazing guitarist, was celebrated over the weekend. Dwight Yoakam, Trace Adkins and Garth Brooks were among the more than 2,000 friends, family members and fans who crowded Valley Baptist Church in Bakersfield, California.
  • There is an excellent recap of the Ric Flair/Ricky Steamboat match during the 1989 Wrestlemania. Why am I telling you? For some reason this link was included in my Lou Reed news email. Plus, it was awesome.
  • Here's something even more awesome than a Ric Flair/Ricky steamboat wrestling match: Marky Ramone, Dez Cadena, Jerry Only and Ivan Julian have teamed with "longtime Misfits collaborator" John Cafiero to start up a "brand-new punk outfit, Osaka Pop Star. Look for a CD and DVD on May 23. Wow.
  • George Jones is recovering from pneumonia. He's well known for having mysterious cases of the "flu" but this sounds like it actually is pneumonia. Let's hope the Advanced Country Legend gets well soon.
  • Overt Beatles rip-offer Noel Gallagher accused Madonna of being "outdated and unoriginal," and he should know. He's so unoriginal that he and his brother aren't even the first feuding Gallaghers in show business. Oasis does write a good one every once in a while, though…
  • Finally, rumors that Brian Eno will "reunite with Roxy Music" are not true: "This untrue and just in-good-faith wishful thinking from the journalists," according to a statement a the Enoweb site. "Brian has no involvement with the band's current recording or tour plans. All that happened was that Brian popped in to visit the members of the group when they were in the studio. Hearing of this, some journalist somewhere decided that it is a truth." The actual truth is that he is going on tour with Aerosmith.

No comments: