Friday, May 05, 2006

Lou Reed, Eddie Vedder, and the Strokes Take a Walk on the Wild Side

There is an article at billboard.com about Eddie Vedder's playing David Letterman's show and then playing with the Strokes at the Rolling Stone 1000th issue party, but what grabbed my eye was this last bit about the Strokes:

"The group was also graced by the presence of Lou Reed for a collaboration on his classic 'Walk on the Wild Side.'"

Like I said yesterday, Lou Reed is always happy to cultivate the idea that he is a one-hit wonder. He just never gets tired of playing "Walk on the Wild Side"! Which is strange because he has the reputation for being surly. You wouldn't think he would be into doing the crowd pleasers. But that's why he's Advanced. People want to hear the hits, and that's what he's going to give them. Though in this case, it's just one hit. Over and over and over again.

8 comments:

Cool Noise said...

You are cruel to Lou Reed! Satellite of Love was a minor hit as well. A nicer man you couldn't hope to entertain you. Well, perhaps a bit of a Prima Donna at times. All right, as surly as they come - but at least he used to terrify music journalists.

Advanced Genius Theory said...

I know that he's not a one-hit wonder, but he promotes the idea that he is, which is Advanced.

Cool Noise said...

I really like your blog - but I do need to read up on the philosphy of being "advanced". By the next time I post a comment I will understand!

Anonymous said...

Check outr the Klosterman article.....it helps in the understanding.


Teacherfriend

Cool Noise said...

The link doesn't wotk but I checked out the cache of the page and i'm beginning to understand...

Advanced Genius Theory said...

I fixed the link...

Cool Noise said...

I do think there was an Advanced moment connected to the release of the Advanced Irritant Metal Machine Music. It was when he said in a pre-release interview: "This is what I always wanted The Velvet Underground to sound like."

Advanced Genius Theory said...

You are so right!